Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent Arrives: Spiritual Spring Returns.

It's Lent, and tradition dictates that it's time to give things up (or pick things up), in a general spirit of trying to, well, improve the spirit. It's a catholic thing, originally, but the tradition has been adopted by a number of other Christian denominations, and even out in the secular world. The origin is found in Christ's life, in his time in the desert, which is why the Lenten season is 40 days. The idea is to... well, actually, I don't really know the teaching. The idea seems to be spiritual self-improvement, and that's just's a fantastic motivation so far as I'm concerned.

What gets given up varies from person to person. Me, I'm planning on making just three shifts: no more overly salty, fatty foods and no more wastefully hot baths that don't serve a practical purpose - and no more anger.

I'm not really that angry any more, compared to how angry I used to be. But it's time to set it aside. Learn not to repeat various people's mistakes, including my own. I'm going to have help. And I'm looking forward to the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment