Friday, January 27, 2012

A U.S. First: Congressman Barney Frank to Marry Partner in spite of DOMA

If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm socially left, economically right, and religiously somewhere in limbo. That's why I watch the Rachel Maddow Show (and used to watch Keith Olberman's show, before it got pulled). I like her take on american politics and I generally tend to agree with her on most matters, from her SOPA/PIPA stance to her expression of the correct method of preparing mixed drinks. Her show is a balance of serious-to-silly that I particularly enjoy, so when it's time to take a break from the print media, I turn my eyes to her.

I was watching yesterday's show (podcasts are always a day behind) just now, and she closed the show with the announcement that Barney Frank, congressman from Minnesota (if I recall correctly), is engaged to be married to his partner of five years, a man who (if I remember correctly) is named Jim Powers. This would make Barney Frank the first congressman to be married to a homosexual partner while in office. Of course, DOMA means that that marriage would have no legal weight, and theology says it holds no spiritual weight, but the way I figure it, in a world torn apart at the seams by how much everyone hates everyone else, I'm just glad to see someone getting married.

I'm sure the most of my readership base, having come from CAF originally, are probably going to take issue with that position. But, the way I see it, the men aren't catholic. I'm pretty sure they're not even Christian. I can't hold them to a moral law they feel has no force and effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment