|I appear to have, embarrassingly, forgotten the salad.|
Chicken Alles Zusammen
Just like Nana used to make; fried dark meat of chicken, lightly dredged to make it crispy, with fresh cabbage salad and cottage fries. Was a time I used to like to put a sauce on this, but these days all I need is a little ketchup for my fries and I'm set. Serves 2
- Meat from 2 Chicken Legs (with thighs), cut into morsels
- 1 Sweet Potato, skins removed and cut into thin dollars (retain in water)
- ¼ Green Cabbage, Shredded
- Creamy Ranch Dressing
- AP Flour, sifted with salt, pepper, and cayenne
- Basil Paste (or better, actual basil, finely chopped).
- Canola Oil
- Rinse with water and dry with paper-towel the chicken morsels. Toss them in flour mixture and shake well to remove excess, discarding remainder of flour mix. Set aside in fridge.
- Heat two pans containing oil to the Sizzle Point.
- Shake-dry potatoes and fry in a single layer in one pan. Fry the chicken in the alternate pan, aiming for golden brown on both. Add a smidgen of basil to each during the cooking process - season the potatoes also with pepper and salt to taste. Dry on paper towel.
- Salad is to be prepared at the last minute by binding the cabbage with the ranch dressing in the style of a coleslaw.
What do I have with this? There's always iced tea - Blueberry Bliss and Pineapple Kona Pop, in this case. This particular iced tea tastes more than a little like fruit punch and so is perfect for nostalgia.