Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Reflection on the Role of the Homemaker

My great-grandfather, whom I can expect to resemble.
Back in my day...

Wait a moment, I'm too young to go on this rant.

Once upon a time, mom stayed at home. That was the way it was - someone stayed home and it was mom. Mom ruled the roost, too - Lord help anyone who placed her household asunder. Washing, cooking, cleaning, and of course, child care, that was mom.

Now, that's Mr. and Mrs. Teacher and the housekeepers, baby sitters, day-cares, and after-school programs. Parental influence is minimized.

Now, see, both my parents worked. I'm not necessarily advocating that, but I want to make it clear that I don't have a problem with both parents working, so long as one parent is always home when the children are (at least until they're suitably responsible!). I didn't spend a lot of time with babysitters or carers. I did spend some time in after-school programs like the Royal Canadian Army Cadets, but that was because I wanted to, not because I had to, either because my parents decreed it, or didn't have a choice.

In families that can afford it, there's actually a certain amount of merit to one parent (whichever) to remain at home. It allows a greater standard of upkeep for the home and a greater standard of care for the children. Isn't that worth something?

No comments:

Post a Comment